Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Aurora Harris' Reading at U of M-Dearborn's Third Floor Poetry Event Nov 20, 2016

A full house! Last night, we had a wonderful evening of poetry at the University of Michigan-Dearborn in the Mardigian Library's Alfred Berkowitz Gallery. When I walked into the gallery, there was an art exhibit of Jewish holocaust prisoners, After looking at the art I decided to open my reading with a poem I had written for my mother, who was in a prison camp in the Philippines during WW II, when the Japanese invaded. I read from my book Solitude of Five Black Moons: Easy (about my Mom, pp 33-35), The Universal Transcendence of Pain (about third world child labor, pp. 15-16), and Now. Then. Tomorrow. In Memory of Grace Lee Boggs (poem is published online: 30 Mar 2016 Educational Studies Vol. 52 , Iss. 2,2016 Educational Studies: A Journal of the American Educational Pages 188-191). In the photo from Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/UMDearbornWritingProgram/photos/gm.1399670530077695/1026486084147186/?type=3&theater) Poets left to right: Afaf Humayun, Alicia Schaefer, Aurora Harris, and Jill Darling. P.F. Potvin, Tony DeGenaro and Lee Brooks. Thank you to everyone that made this event possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment